Thursday, March 7, 2013

Sorry to inform you -- Dad's last week

My brother K wrote this email to all the family:


My brilliant Dad

    My sweet loving, compassionate, understanding, brilliant father with the most wonderful personality combined with unmatched humor, who instilled values in me that has affected countless lives, and who brought comfort to many souls is now on his death bed.

    We have had our last laugh together last month. We have had our last conversation, shared out last Reese's peanut butter cup, had our last share, our last disagreement. 

    My Dad will never tell me again how happy he is to see me. His eyes will never light up again when I enter the room. He will never give me fatherly advise again. He will never comfort me when I am down on myself. He will never recite a poem to me again or share quotes. We will never talk about history, adventures, religion or politics again.

    A big giant piece of my life is leaving me. I have talked about my wonderful Dad all of my life. Everybody who knows me knows my close relationship with my Dad. All of the platitudes that he has left me with fall short when it comes to my grief and loss. I miss my Dad. All that is left now is my crying, my tears, my sorrow, my pain.

    Please don't call me for awhile because I can't talk, I can only cry.

    I will go and sit with my Dad and talk to him without expecting a response. I will tell him that I am in deep sorrow, that I love him and miss him while he refuses to eat or drink. I will give him permission to die. His spirit will live through me and all that he has come in contact with.

    I gotta stop now because I can't see the keys through my tears & snot
K

No comments:

Post a Comment