Friday, March 22, 2013

Farewell My Beloved Dad

My brother R in Sacramento sent this letter to read to Dad:


Dear Dad,                                                                                         March 8, 2013
            You will always be remembered for all the good times we had. Yes! You made some bad mistakes in life, and some of those directly effected my life. I feel that I have made more bad mistakes than you have, but all we can hope is that we learn from our mistakes and strive to improve our self worth. I have to say that You have been responsible for a whole lot more of the good things that I am. When I think of life,I think of You Dad. Your love for nature is truly incredible like how You would not even kill a black widow or an ant. I know that is due to your vast knowledge of how all species coexist and you have that love of life, no matter what species that it may be. Due to that influence, Dad, I will always think of you if I am considering killing another species so more living things will be spared execution, because of you.
            Dad, I will always remember when You arrived in Miami Circa 1970 and stayed with Walt Baldwin and me. and yes, you even had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Jerome Staggers a.k.a. Vanden Taylor Fuller. We had allot of good times and all of us boys loved your witty humor. Remember our chuck steak breakfast,s. and times sitting out on the porch in Miami in January, either in Tee shirts or no shirt at all. Us boys would be drinking and smoking pot and You were the life of the party.
            You left Florida and I was not to far behind you. It was great being able to all work at Viking Homes together. Too bad K & I screwed that up. I really enjoyed your company Dad. You are such a great wealth of knowledge in so many subjects. I always admired and bragged about how my Dad could recite just about any country's area in square miles, population and economic status. Also the way you could beat someone using a cash register mathematically in your head. Dad You are truly an ICON and will always be remembered for your vast knowledge about "life and its vicissitudes". I learned so much living by you for just about 10 years. You and I were real close and then I was hired at Hearst Castle. Dad I learned so many good life skills like cooking techniques and how to deal with people from you. You taught us honesty and integrity and when to B.S. on a bureaucratic document or an employment application.
            Dad I will always regret that I have not spent enough time with You here in your later years. I am so thankful to my brothers and sisters that have taken such good care of you. I love you so much and please understand that I love Northern California and this is where opportunity took me. One of my biggest regrets is that my Grandsons will not have the pleasure of getting to know You. Dad, I will try to give them some of your outlook and perspectives on life. It is my duty and I will sure miss your help. To back track a bit, I will always remember and cherish the camping trips we had together at Sequoia's Dorst Campsite and was it Clark's Fork near Kennedy Meadows, located past Sonora off of Hwy.108? Again Dad your humor coupled with your knowledge was one of the key ingredients as to why I enjoyed my time so much.Dad there are so many, many times that occured in my life with You that I will always love and cherish. You will always live on in me. The boys have even jokingly called me Vern, because I , have allot of your traits and I will remain proud of that ! I know that I was gifted with allot of natural ability, because of you and mom. I am very good in quick math calculations in my head like converting fractions to decimals or percent and I thank my Dad for that ! Like my Dad and Mom, I have tended to help out allot of people that i feel need my help. It has set me back allot of times, but I feel overall I will sow what I reap and thus the Lord looks out for me and will reward me for my good deeds.
            Dad like you I am a super dog lover. I have four chihuahuas (aka. insects ) They are such good company for me. This is the first time I have ever lived alone ( that is without another person in the house ) With my dogs, I do not feel alone at all. Each dog has its own unique special personality and I try to cater to them and give each one the love that I feel they deserve in life. I cook a whole chicken and debone it and chop into small pieces along with mixed vegetables. Yes my dogs are loved and spoiled !
            Dad I will always think of you, when I hear classic music like the blues, country,Bob Wells & the Texas playboys, and countless pieces of old and wonderful music. I feel that I have let you down by not getting an MP3 player set up for you, while you have been confined in that damned convalescent room.Please forgive me for that! i just loved to see you enjoy the beautiful tunes of long ago and I felt that that should have been the least that i could have done for you in your few remaining years here on earth.
            Dad i pray that I will make it down to see you before You check out, or cannot comprehend what I am writing You. Thus I will send this letter to my beloved brother K and my dearest sister L, and last but not least my wonderful daughter A, so that they can read this to you. I pray that you get some enjoyment out of it and that it gives you just a couple of pleasant memories. I will also read it to you as soon as I can and hope that I can bring you some blues to listen to, before you check out.You have my complete blessings to go into the spiritual world. You will live on in us and our offspring. Thanks so much for all of the wisdom, humor, and knowledge that you bestowed upon me. I will never stop loving or forget YOU MY WONDERFUL DAD. REST IN PEACE AND I'LL SEE YOU LATER IN THE SPIRITUAL WORLD.
                                                                                                    Your loving Son, R
                                                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment